today was my first solo day at work. I got in Early like always to have a couplle minutes to face the day. I got clocked in and got my cart all ready with my supplys i needed adn headed out. the side work or so its called got done and I was off to start cleaning the residents rooms. there is a lady I have knowen since I was 7 years old who was my second grade teacher in our special needs unit. (alzheimers unit) I tryed to talk to her a couple days ago but she didnt even remember she had been a teacher. I asked the nurse about visiting with her adn she encouraged me to talk and see if she remembered anything. all the residents of that unit were in there dinning room setting around there tables so I thought i would just go visit and see what happened. I walked into the room and searched for this lady adn just ahead of me was an older lady who was standing there arms reaching for me and she was crying like she was looking to me for comfort. I was totaly not ready for that one. I had no cluse what protocall is so i just did what I do..... I walked over and gave her a hug. she held on and cryed adn cryed and jusst burryed her head in my chest and i felt so helpless.
soon another lady was comforting hernad the tears stopped. the lady seemed calmed down so i was able t visit with the lady who I had searched for. I started talking to her and this time she had remembered me adn remembered what she had done for work for so many years. I felt touched and so humbled. I soon was off cleaning and went to the room of yet another Lady. I explained I would be cleaning and asked if that was going to be ok. I got a yes that will be fine and soon she was talking..... the only thing this Woman wished for was to get out and walk. she told me she had got to go walk but she had fallen so she was not going to get to solo walking. it came to me tha I think its time to take the time to get some of these people out and let them enjoy the spring air when it warms up some. I think its going to be interesting to just take them in there wheel chair for a short walk and just let them talk. I have yet again been changed. Im looking forward to listening to some stories from these people. I know each of them is so lonely as when i clean each wishes to just talk. I have had to adjust to being able to work and talk and give them some conversation. Im not sure where this is going to go but im ready!
No comments:
Post a Comment